Watch the preview video below...
FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN PACE
Easy to consume but in-depth videos hosted by an incredibly knowledgable educator. There are over one hundred videos spread over fourteen chapters, totalling five and half hours of content. We think it'll get your creative juices flowing...
You'll not only have visual insight with easy to follow screen recordings, but you'll actually have access to the EXACT project files Rachel and Mary use. Plus sample and MIDI packs that you can use in your own music!
Watch Rachel K Collier give Mary Spender a masterclass in Ableton in the final chapter 'Ableton in the Real World' - showcasing Mary Spender's song 'Ride With You' and Rachel K Collier's 'Paper Tiger'.
Join Mary Spender in learning how to produce original music within Ableton Live; an incredibly versatile and intuitive Digital Audio Workstation made for macOS + Windows users. Hosted by Ableton expert and electronic music producer, Rachel K Collier, start your producing journey here.
This course is for anyone and is a complete guide so whether you're a total beginner or have already gained some experience you'll still learn something new.
You'll start with the Ableton Live Fundamentals and Rachel will show you around the user experience. Then you'll become a proficient beat maker with the 'Making a Drum Beat' chapter.
Explore MIDI instruments and discover how to record audio with really easy to follow videos guiding you through your producing journey. As you progress, you'll be taught more intricate details, so please check out the course curriculum for more information.
You do not need a musical instrument or any music gear other than a laptop or computer to participate in this course. So let's get started!
Introducing Your Instructor
Rachel K Collier
One-woman electronic production machine and die-hard Ableton enthusiast, Rachel K Collier is known for using a multi-instrument technical setup to enable her to perform her song-focused, high-energy studio productions in a live setting.
Performing on stage together with live percussionists and interactive visuals, Collier has built and refined her live show touring around the world, gaining recognition and playing for BBC Introducing at SXSW, Amsterdam Dance Event and Radio 1's Biggest Weekend.
Her unique performance style has also attracted support and attention from leading tech brands, including Ableton; fronting their latest campaign, Yamaha, Arturia, Korg, Teenage Engineering and more recently Roland.
With her debut single becoming “Record of the Week” on BBC Radio 1, Rachel has most recently released her self-produced debut album to critical acclaim, showing her talents as a stand-out electronic solo artist, writer and producer and now she’s sharing her expertise with ‘Mary Spender U’.
- Intro - User Experience (3:47)
- Why Use Session View? (2:12)
- Session View in Detail (5:59)
- Recording From Session to Arrangement View (4:18)
- Clips (Quick Overview) (0:41)
- Global Quantisation (2:13)
- Help View Demo Set (3:44)
- CHAPTER 1 Ableton Project Download
- Mary's Summary (3:41)
- New In Live 11 - User Interface (1:40)
- Drawing MIDI Drum Clips (4:35)
- Hot Swapping: Changing Drum Sounds (1:43)
- Finger Drumming MIDI Clips (2:46)
- Intro to Quantization (1:38)
- Setting Up a Midi Controller (6:17)
- Using Capture (1:25)
- Adding Notes to an existing clip (1:01)
- Tweak Levels in your Drum Rack (5:53)
- The Grid and Subdivisions (1:16)
- Working with a Triplet Groove - Quantize Settings (2:26)
- Drawing Velocity Curves (1:39)
- New In Live 11 - Velocity Curves and Probability (1:39)
- Playing with clip speed (0:39)
- Ableton's MIDI Drum Patterns (1:41)
- RKC's MIDI Drum Patterns (1:16)
- RKC'S MIDI DRUM PATTERN DOWNLOAD
- Mary's Summary (5:15)
- Intro to Ableton's Instruments (6:00)
- Selecting Sounds and Creating a Collection (2:00)
- Using the Piano Roll (3:08)
- Creating a MIDI Bass Line (2:45)
- Creating MIDI Chord Clips (5:54)
- New In Live 11 - Scale Mode (4:02)
- RKC'S MIDI CHORD IDEAS DOWNLOAD
- Ableton's Learn Music Platform (0:46)
- Mary's Summary (2:24)
- Setting up to Record (4:28)
- Recording Audio (1:58)
- Experimenting with Audio Clips (4:08)
- New In Live 11 - Audio Clips Look & Feel (2:26)
- Songwriting Tips (1:05)
- Recording an Instrument (3:40)
- Dealing with an Upbeat (Mary's Question) (2:08)
- Troubleshooting Recording for New Music Producers (1:55)
- Latency (4:44)
- Mary's Summary (4:15)
- Intro to Audio FX and Creating an Audio FX Rack (10:22)
- Intro to Warping Modes (4:07)
- Delay (7:43)
- What is EQ? (5:30)
- What is Compression? (1:21)
- Reverb and Intro to Sends FX (7:35)
- Adding FX to individual Drum Hits (4:08)
- Download a Max For Live Device (3:04)
- RKC Favourite - Auto Filter (1:48)
- New In Live 11 - Audio FX (3:10)
- Make Your Drums Fat - Drum Bus (1:03)
- CHAPTER 5 Ableton Project Download
- Mary's Summary (4:27)
- Creating a template project (2:28)
- New In Live 11 - Templates (0:55)
- Best practices for saving a live set (5:23)
- Saving a New Version (0:50)
- MAC ONLY Installing Third Party Plug-Ins (Part 1) (5:17)
- MAC ONLY Installing Third Party Plug-ins (Part 2) (2:59)
- MAC ONLY Installing Third Party Plug-ins Troubleshooting (4:38)
- PC ONLY Installing Third Party Plug-ins (Part 1) (6:59)
- PC ONLY Installing Third Party Plug-ins (Part 2) (3:59)
- Installing Third Party Plug-Ins DOWNLOAD LINKS
- Mary's Summary (2:22)
- Tracking and Comping Vocals (7:18)
- New In Live 11 - Comping / Take Lanes (9:38)
- Intro to Macro Audio FX Rack (3:02)
- RKC's Effect Racks DOWNLOAD
- Building your own Audio FX Rack (3:36)
- RKC Advice - Listening with a Critical Ear (1:25)
- i. Layering with Additional Audio and MIDI Tracks (3:47)
- ii. Layering with Additional Audio and MIDI Tracks (2:26)
- Using and Crafting Samples to Layer Up Drums (3:36)
- Cutting, Copying and Duplicating Time to Form a Structure (3:35)
- Adding Movement with MIDI Arpegiator (3:18)
- Adding Movement with Shaper Effect (2:23)
- Adding Movement with 'Max for Live' LFO Tool (1:29)
- Side-chaining with a Compressor (2:36)
- Summary - 'Amazing Masterpiece' Listening Party (2:40)
- CHAPTER 10 Ableton Project Download MAC USERS
- CHAPTER 10 Ableton Project Download PC USERS
- Mary's Summary (4:07)
- Transitions (1:23)
- Reversed Reverb (5:53)
- Automated Reverb Tail and Drum Cut (3:26)
- Filtering Drums (2:11)
- Impacts - Crashes and Sweeps (2:58)
- Autofilters (3:23)
- BeatRepeat and Drum Delays (3:24)
- Why Do We Use Transitions? (2:49)
- Adding Sparkles and Keeping the Track Interesting (4:49)
- CHAPTER 12 Ableton Project Download MAC USERS
- CHAPTER 12 Ableton Project Download PC USERS
- Mary's Summary (2:23)
- Tweaking Volumes and using Utility (6:10)
- Cross Fades and Using a Gate (2:06)
- i. Using EQ - First Steps (5:57)
- ii. Using EQ - Making Sounds Cut Through (3:25)
- iii. Using EQ - L/R Mode (1:54)
- iv. Using EQ - Removing Harsh Frequencies (2:51)
- Using Compression - RKC's Approach (8:22)
- Creating Space with Panning (2:58)
- Summary: 'Amazing Masterpiece' Final Production Recap (13:26)
- CHAPTER 13 Ableton Project Download MAC USERS
- CHAPTER 13 Ableton Download Project PC USERS
- Mary's Summary (3:42)
*GIFT THIS COURSE*
Would you like to gift this course to a loved one? Then you can purchase the course simply by using the gift recipient’s email address.
This allows you to buy the course with your own credit card, while also enrolling the gift recipient in the course. The gift recipient will then be sent a link to confirm their account and access the class, instead of you, the actual purchaser.
Can I use Ableton Live Standard or Ableton Live Lite to take part in this course?
Yes you can take part in this course with any version of Ableton - though we recommend downloading the Ableton Live Suite Trial to get the most out of it. All three versions of Ableton Live : Lite, Standard and Suite all share common features but Standard and Suite have additional features, instruments, effects, and packs. To do a full comparison head here: https://www.ableton.com/en/live/compare-editions/
When does this course start?
'How to Produce in Ableton Live' is open now and is completely self-paced, so learn at your own speed. Once you've enrolled, you'll have unlimited access to this course for as long as you like and need!
"Amazing insights into best practices with Ableton 10 and professional mixing from a successful and talented professional who works on her craft every day. RKC's techniques and sprinkles are not be missed!" Neil Gowans
"Rachel has the ability to make everything feel easy. In this awesome course, she navigates you through Ableton sharing her creative process and extensive knowledge of the programme along the way." Vicky O'Neon
“I’m completely new to Ableton Live and this course has given me the confidence to start producing tracks. Rachel explains the fundamentals of Ableton in an entertaining style and shares her unique approach to music production. After this course you’ll feel encouraged and inspired to get music making!” Simon Rackman
"This course was so much fun, it didn’t really feel like learning. Rachel and Mary are super personable and likeable but still there was so much we didn’t know! The cool thing is that you can go back to certain topics and go over them again if you’ve forgotten something, so you can really learn as fast or as slowly as you want to." HANNIE